Tips for an up and coming defender

For all discussion relating to Football Superstars

Tips for an up and coming defender

Postby PRAISEDEF » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:26 am

Hello guys, I was just wondering if any could give tips or advice on how to defend better in the game. My main problem is that I can predict where an attacker may go next but I may go there too early and run past them or I tackle too early and even though I got the prediction right, still get dribbled due to my mistake of moving too fast. I play a lot of bot games to practice tackling and also preing and they help very much in learning pres and passing out of pressure but nothing with tackling.

Thanks for all the help, It is really appreciated. :salute:

Character: Praise Level 52
Pos: SW Preferred but LB, RB welcome as well
PMC: FC Diamond :cheers:
Goals: To be feared by all attackers and loved by any team I am part off XD :)
Let's DO this as ONE TEAM, not ONE PLAYER because, in the end, it all comes down to ONE pass, ONE shot or ONE mistake.

Name: Praise (FS Magazine Editor)
Positions: RB
PMC: RedWhite United
PRAISEDEF

Re: Tips for an up and coming defender

Postby Taiteilija » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Hey,

I'm pretty sure I am not feared by all (any?) attackers at this point :D but I'll just share the basic things that I think are important.

Predicting your opponent's next move is key and if you can read the game well then other aspects such as tackling and marking will improve naturally as you play more and face stronger opponents.

The other essential thing in my opinion is to focus on containing rather than tackling. Don't risk making a tackle you are not sure about, if you can just keep pressure on your opponent and not let them shoot openly or make an aimed pass, that's already good enough. You are going to cause them just enough trouble by simply being close to them and blocking the easiest/most dangerous line for a pass/shot.

As for tackling, you might have noticed already that people mostly win the balls from opponents not by a LMB standing tackle or a slide but rather just by timing their movement and running the ball off their feet. This is very common and much more reliable than a LMB tackle where stats can fail you and cause what is called a 'bounce'.

Good luck, hope it's of any use :)

PS. you can change your forum name on this page: http://footballsuperstars.com/en_GB/my-profile
Taiteilija

Postby PRAISEDEF » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:31 am

Taiteilija wrote:Hey,

I'm pretty sure I am not feared by all (any?) attackers at this point :D but I'll just share the basic things that I think are important.

Predicting your opponent's next move is key and if you can read the game well then other aspects such as tackling and marking will improve naturally as you play more and face stronger opponents.

The other essential thing in my opinion is to focus on containing rather than tackling. Don't risk making a tackle you are not sure about, if you can just keep pressure on your opponent and not let them shoot openly or make an aimed pass, that's already good enough. You are going to cause them just enough trouble by simply being close to them and blocking the easiest/most dangerous line for a pass/shot.

As for tackling, you might have noticed already that people mostly win the balls from opponents not by a LMB standing tackle or a slide but rather just by timing their movement and running the ball off their feet. This is very common and much more reliable than a LMB tackle where stats can fail you and cause what is called a 'bounce'.

Good luck, hope it's of any use :)

PS. you can change your forum name on this page: http://footballsuperstars.com/en_GB/my-profile

Hello and thanks for responding,
I tried the contain tactic when I played RB or LB and it worked quite well. Someone else eventually always came in and tackled or the attacker would over dribble and make a mistake making it safer to clear. I am now also trying to read the game and other defenders to see where they will likely lmb or pass the ball to and It has improved my positioning for attacking balls greatly. Thanks for the tips and advice, it won't go to waste. :cheers:
Let's DO this as ONE TEAM, not ONE PLAYER because, in the end, it all comes down to ONE pass, ONE shot or ONE mistake.

PRAISEDEF

Postby Zengo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:03 pm

Dude (OP), you listed a few of your very own important mistakes. Work on them, that's all.
Be the chess master in def (think ahead and position yourself ideally). Get to the choppah (oops, not: to the ball) first...
(Right, it will not work 100% but that's not always the goal - pun intended).
:)
Zara, Zarani, Zengo, Gera
Zengo
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby PRAISEDEF » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:55 am

Xd Thanks Zengo

PRAISEDEF

Return to Football Superstars Discussion